Disclaimer: The following material is being kept online for archival purposes.
Although accurate at the time of publication, it is no longer being updated. The page may contain broken links or outdated information, and parts may not function in current web browsers.
Why should we? -- study the aurora
- Understand an unusual, visible, natural phenomenon
- Obtain global, quantitative measurements of atmospheric phenomena
From quantitative measurements of various emission intensities and
ratios of intensities:
- characteristic energies of precipitating particles
- energy flux globally deposited
- atmospheric temperatures and composition
- winds from Doppler shifts
Obtain global implications of magnetospheric activity
Monitor geospace response to solar activity
[Back to the main Aurora page]
Web development: Theresa
Last updated: 7/26/00
Above is background material for archival reference only.